Birth Story Part 1

As I write this I am watching my nine week old boy starting to doze off in his bouncer. I am still in shock that our baby is here, my son, is here. After his birth I knew I wanted to take in this time and to take a break from the blog. But I’m back and will pick up where I left up so I can document my sweet boy and the beginning of his life.

Here is his story, in more detail than you might care to know… this is your warning. 🙂

My parents came downstate for a few reasons; to bring some of Justin and Tia’s belongings back up North with them because they were moving back at the end of April and to visit us for my Mom’s Spring Break. They came into town on the Saturday before Easter. The plan was for them to spend a few days with Justin and Tia and then spend a few days with us. They hoped that our baby would be born during  the week but with my due date at the end of their stay, I just knew baby wouldn’t come in time.

I couldn’t be more wrong.

Ben and I had a very busy Easter. We attended church in the morning then went to his parents’ house for a delicious meal. At this point of my pregnancy my carb intake was minimal but because it was a special day I did eat half a baked potato. Then my parents, brother and future sister-in-law came into town. Together we made an Easter dinner and then spent some time dying Easter eggs and playing Ticket to Ride. During dinner I helped myself to more carbs; crescent rolls and two helpings of cheesey, bacon mashed potatoes.

DSCF6551 DSCF6553 DSCF6560My mom snapped this picture of me and the baby bump at the end of Easter Sunday. It would be the last photo of me pregnant.
DSCF6568My family left around 9pm and after cleaning up a bit, Ben and I went to bed. A few hours later I woke up with the strongest urge to pee and pee NOW. I quickly looked at the clock and noticed it was 1am and that I haven’t been sleeping for very long. I went to the bathroom but still felt the urge to go. I went back to bed but the feeling was so strong that I got up almost instantly to go to the bathroom again. This time more liquid came out.

It was at this point that I grabbed my Yoga ball and decided to spend some time on the computer until the feeling went away so I could go back to sleep. I was a little concerned about the extra liquid that just left my body and I decided to ask the ladies in a Facebook group that I am a member of. The Facebook group is filled with women who all had April due dates. I explained what happened and one mom said it sounded like baby would be here soon and a few others agreed.

As an hour passed by I started to feel quite uncomfortable and was having what I believed to be contractions. I woke up Ben at some point and then he went back to sleep. Around 2am I woke him up and asked him to be with me.

I started feeling more and more uncomfortable as the minutes went by. I now knew that I was having contractions but I wasn’t too excited yet. Even if this was early labor, I knew I could be in labor for hours or even days before baby arrived or that labor could stop all together.

Over the next few hours I worked with the contractions on all fours, on the Yoga ball, over the couch, leaning on a wall, bending over the kitchen counter and anywhere else I felt comfortable. I did my best to walk around the apartment and Ben did his best to keep me comfortable. Ben was timing my contractions and providing me drinks from a V8 juice box. We still weren’t convinced I was in real labor, at least I wasn’t.

Ben was suppose to go into work at 4am and he called work a few times letting them know that I was having contractions and if they continued he would not be coming in. Eventually he made the call and said he wouldn’t be coming in early but would continue to update them if he was coming into work for his regular scheduled time at 7am.

We weren’t sure when to call our midwife and since I figured I’d be in labor for FOREVER, we waited until a reasonable time to call her. It was difficult for Ben to time my contractions because they were pretty constant. Ben called our midwife, Yolanda, around 5am. It was around this time that the contractions were getting harder to manage so I moved to the bathtub. It was also around this time that Ben called work and said he wouldn’t be coming in that day.

After speaking to Yolanda, Ben updated me on what she said. Yolanda said it sounded like I was in early labor but it was likely that as the sun came up the labor would stop and it would probably start again in the evening. She would stop by around 8am to check on me and see how things are going.

5am to 8am is a blur to me. I spent most of my time in the bathtub sitting on a thick towel because it hurt so bad to sit on the hard bathtub. I did my best to breath with the contractions and I truly spaced out for quite awhile. Ben slept for awhile on the toilet and he thought my contractions were calming down and updated my midwife. In fact, my contractions were getting stronger but I was getting “used” to them and was finding a way to work with them and accept them.

I bounced around from the bathtub to the yoga ball to the toilet. I enjoyed sitting on the toilet because there was no direct pressure on my butt unlike sitting in the tub or on the yoga ball. Labor was getting pretty tough but I was still managing the pain pretty well.

8am rolled around and Yolanda arrived but we were unaware of her arrival. Our phones were on vibrate and she called both phones multiple times. At some point our neighbors saw her outside and after questioning her why she was on their porch, they let her in. Ben updated Yolanda with what he was seeing and then she came in by me. I don’t recall speaking much to her but she talked a bit to me. Yolanda checked my progress and said my water hadn’t broken yet and I was 6cm.

I was in shock. I was in labor. Our baby would be born at some point on April 1st, 2013.

Yolanda left and said she had some things to take care of and would be back no later than 2pm. She told Ben to call her if my water broke or I was feeling the urge to push. Ben called my mom and his mom and let them know the news.

It wasn’t long after Yolanda left that I couldn’t get comfortable and felt the urge to push. I couldn’t spend more than a few minutes in the tub or on the yoga ball. The pain was unreal at this point. I remember sitting on the yoga ball shivering because I was so cold and paranoid that I would be feeling this way for another 12 hours. I knew I was just 6cm and had 4cm to go before I was ready to push so I did my best to not push because I thought it was the right thing to do. I even remember Ben saying something along the same lines. We both didn’t even consider that I was progressing that fast.

I ended up spending most of the next hour on the toilet by myself. I had asked Ben to leave me alone and I couldn’t stop myself from pushing at this point. Finally I asked Ben to call Yolanda back. She arrived around 9am and after observing me for a few minutes she decided to set up everything she needed to deliver our baby.

I spent time alone focusing through the pain while Ben and Yolanda worked together in our bedroom. At some point I moved from the bathroom to the bedroom. I don’t remember if I moved without assistance or if Ben helped me. I do recall laying with my head near the foot of the bed and curling up into a ball. Yolanda came in and checked me once more and sure enough my water had broken at some point and she could see our baby’s head. It was time!

Our baby would be born soon and likely before lunch time.

It was go time!

(to be continued here…)


One thought on “Birth Story Part 1

  1. Pingback: Birth Story Part 2 | Behind the Scenes

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s